If you follow us on Facebook or Twitter, you’ve probably heard about the 10th anniversary of Big Red for the Arts, a fundraising party with fabulous food, signature wines, and one purpose: to raise funding for the arts. The event, held in The Society Room of Hartford on March 5, kicks off our 2015 United Arts Campaign, which supports over 150 arts, culture, and heritage organizations – both big and small – that you know and love in Greater Hartford. Organizations such as the Wadsworth Atheneum, The Bushnell, Mark Twain House & Museum, Little Theatre of Manchester, Judy Dworin Performance Project, Real Art Ways, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Hartford Symphony, New Britain Museum of American Art, Hartbeat Ensemble, TheaterWorks, and many more. And by attending Big Red, you can help support all of these organizations. Intrigued, yet? Here are five awesome things you’ll see at Big Red’s 10th anniversary:
1. Wines, spirits, and more wine. Just like ARTini is famous for its mixed cocktails, Big Red is well known for its red wines hailing from vineyards all over the world. Mix, mingle, and put your wine tasting knowledge to practice.
2. You’ll get to try chocolate truffle pasta. Food Network participant and Vito’s by the Park chef and owner, Rob Maffucci will make a special guest appearance and prepare Pappardelle Bolognese with his cutting-edge chocolate truffle pasta, which you may remember from Beat Bobby Flay. Seriously, you wouldn’t want to miss out on this.
3. The delicious local food. Hartford is chock-full of amazing restaurants and at Big Red they’ll all be at one place for you to taste test. Participating restaurants include: NYTimes-approved Bear’s Smokehouse, Salute, Vivo, Vito’s by the Park, The Capital Grille, Dish Bar & Grill, City Steam Brewery, Sorella, The Society Room of Hartford, and The Kitchen at Billings Forge.
4. There will be cake! Thanks to the folks of Taste by Spellbound, we’ll have our first ever Big Red cake to celebrate 10 years. Though there’s no word yet on the details of the sweet concoction, if we had to guess, we think red velvet might be in the works (hint, hint). And we hope you have a sweet tooth because NoRA Cupcake Company will be there as well with artsy liquor infused mini cupcakes.
5. We’ll have locally sourced ice cream from Grassroots Creamery! The Granby-based ice cream shop has quite the cult following for their quirky flavors like Honey Lavender, Blueberry Pie, and Chai Tea Latte. Lucky for you, you’ll get to sample them.
Ready to party? Tickets to the Grand Wine Tasting are $125 and for those eager to meet Chef Maffucci and sample his exquisite chocolate truffle pasta at the Premier Wine Tasting, tickets are $175. CANvas members get in for $75, and grantees can purchase up to 2 tickets for $50. The Grand Wine Tasting begins at 6:30PM through 9PM; Premier Wine Tasting is from 5:30PM-6:30PM.
You’ll be glad to know that 100% of proceeds will go towards our 2015 United Arts Campaign. So, if you’ve ever wanted to donate to the arts but couldn’t decide exactly where to allocate your funds, contributing to our United Arts Campaign ensures that you’re supporting the arts community as a whole. This year we’re thankful to our Presenting Sponsor of Big Red, United Bank Foundation of Connecticut, and Supporting Sponsor, Voya Financial™, as well as Yelp, Ford & Paulekas, and the numerous participating restaurants for their generous donations. Last but not least, we’re most thankful to YOU for helping support the arts in Greater Hartford. Whether you’re a longtime attendee of Big Red or a newbie to the event (don’t worry, I am too!), we hope to see you there. But make sure to RSVP, space is limited!